I'm in a reflective and melancholy mood this Thanksgiving morning. It started with watching Tyler Wilkinson's documentary on the BYU channel while I was preparing food our meal this afternoon. The documentary was about his journey in life after his accident when he was a senior at Dixie High which paralzed him; the documentary ended with an interview with him today. A few minutes later I picked up the newspaper and read an article about a stroke survivor who 'fights his way back - one blink at a time'. Of course I can't help but think of my dear mother, who, just one year ago yesterday had a stroke while staying at my home. I remember those anxious moments driving to Cedar with her in the car, unable to speak or even move. She slept all the way down and I worried that she wouldn't make it until we got to Cedar. That was the same day as my mother-in-law's burial service in Cedar so I was anxious about that too.
Today I'm thankful for those 6 extra months I had with my mother. They were sweet tender, unforgetable months. I certainly can see the Lord's hand in her life as well as ours during those months. To prolong her life and then to have her daughters with her at her passing was indeed a sweet tender mercy of the Lord. I am grateful for my mother. Thank you, Mother for the blessing you were in my life. I miss you.